What is a tongue scraper ?
A tongue scraper is a long, thin, flat , flexible piece of plastic or metal that can be bent into a ‘U’ shape to clean the surface of the tongue.
How do you use a tongue scraper?
- Scrape the tongue by holding the ends of the scraper.
- Stick out your tongue and place the scraper as far back as possible.
- Using a firm but gentle touch, drag the scraper towards the tip of the tongue.
- Repeat 3 or 4 times.
What benefits are there to using a tongue scraper?
Almost 1/2 of our oral bacteria lives on the tongue. These toxins are absorbed by the body and can lead to respiratory difficulties, digestive problems, affect your immune system. Our immune systems can be compromised by the absorption of toxins into our bodies from the oral cavity. Dental research has shown that a tongue scraper is more effective at removing the bacteria and toxins from the tongue than a toothbrush.
Benefits to tongue scraping include:
- The scraper removes bacteria, food debris, toxins, and dead cells from the surface of the tongue.
- Tongue scrapers also help remove bacteria that coats the tongue causes halitosis.
- Taste buds can become blocked affecting the way we taste and enjoy our food.
- Tongue scraping promotes overall good oral hygiene and improved tooth and gum health.
Contact Simon Pong Dentistry, Oakville to learn more about practicing good dental hygiene.