Dental fear, also called dental phobia, odontophobia, dentophobia, and dental anxiety affects 20% of the population.
Causes of dental anxiety may include a negative experience as a child, the feeling of a lack of control, fear of pain, or even embarrassment.
Unfortunately, many negative experiences happen as a young child. Perhaps a treatment began before the patient was totally frozen, or something happened that they weren’t expecting. This may lead to the feeling of not being in control of your own dental work, or the fear of dental pain.
Many people feel embarrassed to open their mouths. Perhaps it’s been several years since their last appointment, or perhaps they know they should have flossed more frequently. It doesn’t matter if it’s been two years or 20 years since your last dental appointment, we are here to help you, not judge you.
How Simon Pong Dentistry Can Help
At Simon Pong Dentistry, we believe in making the dental care experience as painless and relaxing as possible. Here are some of the ways we aim to make our patients feel cared for:
- Whenever you contact our office (on the phone, in person, or another way), you will be greeted in a friendly, caring, and professional manner.
- Our dental receptionists will answer any questions you may have about your dental care and discuss past dental experiences with you. This will help to relieve any dental anxiety you may have experienced in the past. We are here to help you, and the more we get to know you, the more we can help make your visits comfortable.
- We believe that communication is important. It’s important that our patients understand their procedures and what they can expect, before we begin any treatment. We are here to answer all of your questions.
- We will take breaks as often as you need them. Your comfort is our priority.
- You are in control during the procedure. If you feel anxious, nervous, or uncomfortable in any way, you can stop the treatment by raising your left hand.
- It’s important to us that you leave with a smile on your face, so we will check in with you throughout your appointment to ensure you’re doing well.
- You are welcome to bring a friend or family member with you to your appointments — and they can sit with you during your visit. We have an open door policy.
- We offer oral sedation or laughing gas to help calm your nerves during dental appointments.
- We are happy to provide our patients with distraction from the sights, sounds, and smells of their treatment. You are welcome to watch Netflix or listen to an iPod during your visit.
At Simon Pong Dentistry, we are focused on ensuring that our patients are treated with respect and care. Contact us today to arrange for your next worry-free appointment.