Flu season is upon us and Dr. Simon Pong has put together a few expert tips to help you stay healthy:
- Avoid close contact with anyone that may be sick or have the flu. The flu is easily spread from person to person.
- Stay Home. If you have flu-like symptoms, stay home and wait at least 24 hours after your fever has disappeared.
- Cover your cough. Use a tissue or the crook of your arm to cough or sneeze into. Never cough directly into your hand.
- Wash your hands, properly and frequently. It is important to thoroughly wash all parts of your hand — front, back, and between each finger with soap and warm water. Dry your hands with a disposable paper towel and try and avoid air dryers as they spread the virus through the air where they can be inhaled by others.
- Get the flu shot. The flu shot is available at your family doctor or at Shoppers Drug Mart. Get your shot the sooner the better as flu season is November to April.
- Nasal Spray may be an option if you are between the ages of 2-19. The spray does contain a live, but weakened, form of the virus.
- Improve your diet. You can boost your immune system to avoid the flu by having a diet full of fruits and vegetables.
- Increase your exercise. One of the best ways to prevent the flu is to keep your immune system strong. White blood cells help to fight infections and when you exercise these cells travel through the body at a faster rate.
- Take your Vitamins. Vitamins will boost your immune system, and Vitamin C is one of the biggest immune system boosters. Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant and Vitamin B6 supports biochemical reactions in the immune system. Just be sure to consult with your doctor before taking any vitamins.
The team at Dr. Simon Pong hopes that you and your family stay healthy this flu season. As part of staying healthy, don’t forget to contact our office to arrange your next dental appointment.